Columbus Ohio Temple
60th operating temple
Physical Address3870 Gateway Boulevard
Columbus, Ohio 43228
Mailing Address1935 Marblecliff Crossing Ct
Columbus, OH 43204-4968Telephone 614-351-5001
Announcement: 25 April 1998
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 12 September 1998 by John K. Carmack
Public Open House: 21–28 August 1999
Dedication: 4–5 September 1999 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Site: 1.35 acres.
Exterior Finish: Imperial Danby White variegated marble quarried from Vermont.
Ordinance Rooms: Two ordinance rooms (two-stage progressive) and two sealing.
Total Floor Area: 10,700 square feet.
The Columbus Ohio Temple is located 150 miles south of Kirtland, Ohio, where the restored Church dedicated its first temple in 1836. The temple stands in a wooded area of western Columbus adjacent to a meetinghouse in the Columbus Ohio Stake. The beautiful white Vermont marble facing on the exterior was quarried near Sharon, Vermont, the birthplace of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Shortly after construction began on the Columbus Ohio Temple, the floor plan was altered to include an additional room where patrons who had traveled long distances could eat and change clothes before presenting themselves at the recommend desk. This feature was included in the design of subsequent temples, starting with the Spokane Washington Temple.