Oakland California Temple
13th operating temple; closed for renovation; construction fence erected; water fountain feature removed; estimated to be completed in 2019 (no official dates announced)
Physical Address4770 Lincoln Avenue
Oakland, California 94602-2535
Mailing Address4770 Lincoln Ave
Oakland, CA 94602-2535Telephone 510-531-3200
Distribution Services 510-531-9767
Announcement: 23 January 1961
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 26 May 1962 by David O. McKay
Public Open House: 5–31 October 1964
Dedication: 17–19 November 1964 by David O. McKay
Site: 18.3 acres.
Exterior Finish: Reinforced concrete faced with Sierra white granite from Raymond, California.
Ordinance Rooms: Four ordinance rooms (stationary) and seven sealing.
Total Floor Area: 95,000 square feet.
The Oakland California Temple closed on February 18, 2018 for an extensive renovation project that will last a minimum of a year. The historic Bay area landmark, now over 50 years old, will be updated throughout and brought up to code. The renovation will be followed by a public open house, cultural celebration, and rededication ceremony.1
Commanding a sweeping view of the San Francisco Bay Area, the 170-foot Oakland California Temple is a highly recognized East Bay landmark. The magnificent grounds are distinguished by a creek-style water feature running from fountain to fountain in front of the temple entrance—lined with colorful gardens and towering palm trees. On site is a public visitors' center, which includes numerous displays and an inspiring reproduction of Thorvaldsen's Christus statue. Also on the grounds is the East Bay Interstake Center—open to any who wish to attend Sunday services.
The Oakland California Temple was the second temple built in California, following the Los Angeles California Temple (1956).
The Oakland California Temple was originally named the Oakland Temple.
The Oakland California Temple was originally built with two large ordinance rooms each seating 200 persons.
The exterior of the Oakland California Temple features two 35-foot sculpted panels depicting Jesus teaching in the Holy Land (north side) and Jesus appearing to the Nephites (south side), which can be seen up close from the terrace garden that surrounds the temple, occupying the main floor roof. Below the sculpture on the north side is an enchanting waterfall that drops into an inner courtyard.
In 1942, the site for the Oakland California Temple was purchased after 14 years of negotiations due to various obstacles that blocked its purchase.
President Heber J. Grant announced the purchase of the site for the Oakland California Temple in the April 1943 General Conference: "I am happy to tell you that we have purchased in the Oakland area another temple site. The negotiations have been finally concluded and the title has passed. The site is located on the lower foothills of East Oakland on a rounded hill overlooking San Francisco Bay. We shall in due course build there a splendid temple."
Construction of the Oakland California Temple was officially announced by President David O. McKay at a special meeting held at the Hilton Hotel near the San Francisco airport. Area stake presidents from Fresno on the south, Klamath on the north, and Reno on the east, were invited to the meeting. Overjoyed by the announcement, they pledged to raise $500,000 toward the construction of the temple. They succeeded in raising $635,000.
Over 347,000 visited the Oakland California Temple during its month-long open house. Even on the final Saturday, people stood in line for almost two hours in the rain waiting to get inside.
On October 30, 1990, the Oakland California Temple reopened after being closed for nearly two years for refurbishing and renovation.
In August 2014, work was completed on restoring the waterfall feature at the Oakland California Temple. Due to plumbing issues, it had been converted to a flower garden and sign holder for a scriptural passage from 3 Nephi 17, shortly after dedication.
1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints News Release, "Oakland California and Washington D.C. Temples to Close for Renovation," 23 Feb. 2017.